Saturday, July 21, 2012

[Review] Aveda: Sun Care Hair Line


 Hello~ out there~

Alrighty, it's finally that time! As promised a review of the Aveda Sun Care Hair line is upon us. Now, before I begin I would just like to point out that I'm actually quite a noob to the Aveda brand itself. I've only used some of their products very fleetingly in the past (mostly as a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner combo after I'd had my Keratin treatment done... long time ago... anyway, I digress), so excuse if there are any vague descriptions, as I have more experience with the brand I hope to improve on that!

Now, on with the review~



Sun Care Protective Hair Veil $26
Let's start at the beginning with Sun Care Protective Hair Veil. Truth be told, I do not use this Sun Care line every day. However, as it's summer I do tend to spend a bit more time splashing around in the pool under the sun; as most do in such weather. I only use the shampoo, conditioner and hair veil occasionally when I know I'll be spending extended periods of time outside or in chlorine/salt infested water~

For starters I think this Protective Hair Veil is a really nice idea. We have sun care for our skin, our lips, our eyes, everywhere except our hair, I'm not sure if this is a new product idea or whether it has been around for a while but this is my first encounter with such a product. I often wouldn't apply this mist before I went outside but rather, after I'd had my shower more as a sealant for the conditioning treatment. I spritz this into my hair either before (if I remember) or afterwards, lightly and as evenly as possible and then run a comb through it to make sure the product is distributed as evenly as possible. Even though it's not meant to be used exclusively this way it actually worked very well, it's not greasy at all yet leaves your hair feeling soft and looking healthy and shiny. As a sun protectant, I think it would be just as efficient. I don't colour my hair but as anti-fading sun protection is what this product is predominantly made to do, I think it would do it very well. Oh and of course like all Aveda products this one has a smell, it's quite citrusy and summery with a hint of organic musk to it (if you're familiar with Aveda products they all seem to have this smell) it's very pleasant, not over powering or strong and it doesn't linger for too long, so if you're not so fond of it no worries, it should wear off in a bit!

Sun Care Hair and Body Cleanser $21

Next is the Shampoo... or err Hair and Body Cleanser as they prefer to call it. Now, this product I really really like! It's more or less a clarifying shampoo with the added benefit of not being overly drying, a great plus. This easily strips the salt/chlorine smell and fell from my hair in a few seconds leaving it feeling like... well, natural hair! I take about... a one inch sized blob in my palm and spread it over both my hands evenly before using one for the top of my head and the other for the ends and midsection before bringing them together to really lather it up. I've found I've had to use this technique with my other Aveda shampoo as well, it takes a bit more work than regular shampoo to create a true foam but it's definitely worth a bit of extra elbow grease.  I've also noticed that because of the cleansing powers of this shampoo my hair has become less frizzy in the humid over-100-degree-climate I live in, it's a miracle! Of course, it's still a bit fluffy but that's to be expected in such weather. The smell of this one is very similar, if not the same as the Protective Hair Veil. It's quite citrusy with an organic tang around the edges, very mild and pretty!

Sun Care After-Sun Hair Mask $26

I really love this one too! I would use this everyday if I could, but it's a bit rich (and expensive) for that so I just save it for when I have actually been outdoors. I have to admit I was a bit worried about this product when the woman ringing me up at the shop told me to be careful how much I use this as it's very moisturising. For someone with very oily hair that immediately had me quite hesitant to use it. Alas the fear was all for naught, I absolutely love this conditioner as long as I rinse it out thoroughly it works beautifully in making sure that my hair does not feel the drying effects from the chlorine, salt and sunshine it's been exposed to, it's not, however overly moist. I apply this from root to tip (less towards the roots and more towards the ends) and leave it to sit for about 5 minutes and then rinse it for about 30 seconds to a minute. After rinsing and even when it's dry it doesn't feel like I have conditioner in my hair in a thick weighty layer. Saying that, if you have a drier hair type you could apply this more liberally than I do and then rinse it out less. This smells a tad more perfumey (a touch florally perhaps but nothing strong or pungent) than the other two products, although I don't like it as much, it, like the other fragrances, doesn't linger too much or if it does it's not strong enough to notice unless you're smelling your hair.

(L-R) Caribbean Therapy Body Creme,  Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair, Tourmaline Charged Radiant Skin Refiner
As for the samples I quite like them all, but I specifically really like the Tourmaline Charged Radiant Skin Refiner. It's a really nice exfoliator with teeny tiny beads in it that almost feel like grains of extra fine sand. It's very gentle but still tough enough to smooth and soothe your skin for days when it's just not feeling it's best. The Caribbean Therapy Body Creme, is really quite nice but seeing as my skin doesn't get very dry I didn't really feel the need to use it (which is a shame as it is the biggest of all the samples). Perhaps nearer the winter when it gets a bit more chilly I'll find I really love it and if that's the case you may see a raving review about this on here in the future! As for the Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair I actually already have this in a full size and unfortunately don't love it, I don't dislike it but it's just not effective enough. This is something I would use more when I have split ends or have been straightening my hair on a regular basis to try and help it recover from the heat.

All in all I'm really very impressed with this line as it really was a bit of an impulse splurge for me, I saw it online one night and went out to buy it the next day, I guess it was just love at first sight

I hope you enjoyed my very first review and I hope to see you again soon

No comments:

Post a Comment