Saturday, September 8, 2012

[Review] Etude House: Sun BB Cream & Tear Eye Liner


I'm back! I've had quite a bit of trouble with my internet recently, so unfortunately blogging was put on hold! But fear no more for I have not fallen off the face of the earth and abandoned my little space on the internet :)


Today I'm going to review a Korean brand called Etude House. A brief description of it would be somewhere along the lines of: Sweet, cute, girly, pink and sparkly! The brand itself seems to be geared towards younger teens but it definitely appeals to some in their twenties as well (I'm sure it stretches even further in Korea)! With the catch phrase "Wanna be sweet? Play Etude!" it's ads are hard to resist, I find myself wanting to buy everything immediately (what else is new? hah). Their products range from skin care to makeup and all the other bits and bobs in between; overall it's quite the adorable, versatile brand. And on top of all that the products are lovely,very good quality. I've never had any trouble with anything of theirs breaking my skin out. As it is made for younger, more sensitive skin I think it fits my skin type quite well :)


First on the agenda is their Sun BB Cream! As bb creams have recently snuck their way into the Western market I'm sure some of you know what a bb cream is, but for those of you that are unfamiliar with the product here's a quite overview for you from Birchbox (quick but thorough :) ) : 
Invented in the 1950’s by a German dermatologist named Christine Schrammek, the BB cream (also known as beauty balm or blemish balm) was originally designed to help post-peel patients mask redness. It wasn’t until decades later that BB creams resurfaced on a different continent. In 2005, Korean brands such as Dr. Jart brought the concept to the Asian market and they quickly spread to other countries. These all-in-one products combine the functions of a primer, anti-aging serum, moisturizer, and light foundation—plus, many contain added benefits like SPF.

This is really quite a perfect description the only benefit they missed out is a "whitening" effect it can have on your skin over time. Now don't be afraid, it's not whitening in the sense that it'll make you the perfect ghost look-alike this halloween but more for those of use who suffer with skin discolouration (from redness to dark acne scars); in so many words it evens out your skin tone.


Now, onto the product itself. It's a light coverage, sun protecting ("Anti-Darkening"), "whitening", very dewy and entirely waterproof bb cream! I'll just start off by saying I absolutely L-O-V-E this product, doesn't come off for anything! Now that being said it removes effortlessly with a cleanser or makeup remover so it's certainly not difficult to get rid of when  you really need to, but it won't come off due to perspiration or water. The perfect answer to "makeup meltdown" in the summer :)

Now the only thing that always confuses me about asian bb creams is the SPF rating... "50+" is fine it's just the "PA+++" that I don't understand. I've been using bb creams since high school but I've never been able to figure out what it means. Regardless I never ever come home with a red nose after being out in the sun all day with this on! It does a phenomenal job.


I bought mine from BB Cream Boutique (this particular bb cream can be found here) their shipping is incredibly fast (within the US) and they ship internationally as well, always an added plus! I bought mine in shade 02 Light Beige which I believe is the lightest shade (or at least on this site), but BBCB also has shades W13 Natural Beige and W15 Sand Beige (this bb cream like I stated is light coverage, so the precise shade won't matter too much, it's very blendable). There are shade swatches available on most of the cosmetic pages usually located just above the price. 



This bb cream is quite unique in that it has it's own attached sponge applicator. It makes it incredibly easy to apply if your in a rush and blending is made as simple as simple can be. The sponge can also be removed to be washed, keeping things sanitary as well! The sponge cap can also be removed if you just want to use the nozzle and apply it with your fingers instead! It's up to personal preference!


Just to show you a swatch (in natural light (I always forget to show these! hah) on my skin (baring in mind by MAC shades I'm about a NW-NC15 (I have a quite a neutral undertone to my skin, so I'm right in the middle)). When you initially swipe it on it may look a bit scary and too dark but once blended it's barely noticeable at all!


Next is the Tear Eye Liner, this is essentially a beautiful white pearl glitter liner. I was very excited for this as I have multiple iridescent glitter liners but the glitter is both more chunky than I'd like and the colours it reflects are too bright. I wanted something a bit more subtle and this was definitely what I've been looking for! 



As you can see it's a white glitter liner that just has a pearly white sparkle and shine to it, when you actually apply it to the skin it does reflect a pastel spectrum, but it's quite delicate; not too loud. I would almost say it's a glitter liner that would be more suited to daytime wear as it is subdued, very pretty.

Shade: 1 Sparkling Tear (other shades avaiblable here)


The applicator is similar to other glitter liners, a thin brush with a long handle for better more comfortable grip.

Swatch in natural light

So there you have it folks! A very late, long winded review on some Etude House products! :) I feel as though most strictly asian based brands don't get too much exposure in the West so I thought this might be fun, a bit different and maybe even a tad educational! :)

I hope you enjoyed I'd love to know what you think!

Until next time 

No comments:

Post a Comment